Monday, September 7, 2009

Remembering 9/11

I can't believe that it has been almost 8 years since that horrific day. It is a day that I will never forget. I was coming home from the grocery store when I heard that the Twin Towers were gone. When I got home I immediately turned on the TV and watched in horror. Then I learned that the Pentagon was hit and another plane had crashed in a field. My immediate thoughts were for those poor souls who were in the planes and those who were trapped in the buildings and did not have a chance. I no longer felt safe in our world and just felt confused, angry, and very sad. I held my 4 month old boy and wondered what lay ahead for him and the next generation. I still feel uncertain from time to time and I have a great fear of flying.

I just recently watched the move World Trade Center on TV. It brought back feelings of terror and sadness. Most of the movie focussed on the two Port Authority cops who were trapped under the debris and it also followed the families of the two cops as they went through the ordeal of not knowing if their loved ones were still alive. This movie gives a different perspective of that day compared to the other movies and documentaries and I am glad that I watched it.

On September 11 this year I will remember the day by taking a moment of silence and reflection on the times that the planes hit the towers. For a detailed chronology of events of 9/11 you can view it here.

My heart goes out to all of those affected by 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment