Sunday, June 9, 2019

Intermittent Fasting

Bookmark and Share

I have been trying intermittent fasting for almost a month and it has really worked for weight loss.  To get the best results, experts advise to fast for 16 hours and eat within an 8 hour window.   I haven't been able to fast for 16 hours yet but that is my goal.  I stop eating at night around 8:00 p.m. and then fast until 10:00 a.m.  I am hoping to push that to 12:00 p.m. in the near future.

At first, it was difficult to not eat anything first thing in the morning.  I thought that by not eating I wouldn't be able to concentrate at work and wouldn't have the energy to push through until lunchtime.  That is not the case.  I have black coffee when I first wake up and then when I get to work I have a tea.  Around 10:00 a.m., I will have a small snack of cucumber, blueberries or apple.  While fasting, you are allowed to have water, coffee and tea provided that you do no put anything in it like cream or sugar.

Intermittent fasting has been known to balance blood sugar levels and hormones.  It is not a diet but a pattern of eating. It works because when you are in a fast from 12 to 16 hours, insulin levels out and your body burns fat.  

You may think it would be hard to give up your breakfast but If you love breakfast food then you can just eat your breakfast at lunchtime.  I find it easier skipping breakfast because it is one less thing I have to worry about before heading out the door in the morning.  I will admit that it is a bit more difficult on the weekend to fast in the morning.

Even though I was walking and going to the gym prior to fasting, I wasn't losing weight.  I am enjoying this lifestyle change and do not feel deprived.



No comments:

Post a Comment