Friday, February 12, 2010

Treating an Earache

I have been up all night with my 3 year old and 5 year old as they both have earaches. I did not see this coming but that could explain why they have both been very whiny and cranky the last couple of days. My 3 year old got up at 11:00 p.m. last night and she was crying and very restless. Shortly thereafter, my 5 year old woke up complaing that his ear hurt as well. I gave them some pain reliever and they shared a hot pack which they held over their ear. My 5 year old settled back to sleep by about 1:30 a.m. and my 3 year old didn't settle down until about 3:30 a.m. They have not developed a fever yet but I will be keeping an eye on them today to determine if they should go to the clinic. Some ear infections will clear up on their own and unless your child has a fever and is ill from the infection (not eating, lethargic, or nauseous), the doctor may not prescribe antibiotics. It just seems odd that they would both develop an infection at the same time. They have both had a cold so maybe that contributed to it. It's going to be a quiet, restful day as I am exhausted and I am sure they will be to.

Update Feb. 16/10: My daughter got over the earache without the need for antibiotics but my son eventually had to go in to the clinic. He has an infection in both ears. He was prescribed Amoxicillin which he has to take twice a day for 10 days. He should start to feel better within 2 to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment