Since a lot of the grocery stores are now charging for plastic bags, I switched to the reusable cloth grocery bags. I like using them and find that they are quite strong and hold a lot of groceries. I have been reading about the health risks associated with using them and the bacteria that can grow inside them. I have found some tips in maintaining the bags and keeping them relatively clean.
- Hand wash the bags frequently in hot soapy water and hang to dry.
- Designate 1 bag for carrying meats and poultry. Place the meats in the clear plastic bags found in the meat section. Then place them into your cloth bag.
- Ensure that your vegetables and fruits are not carried in the same bags that your meats are.
- Do not use your grocery bags for carrying items such as books, toys, clothing, or baby items.
- Always clean your kitchen counters after placing the bags on them to unpack your groceries.