Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Reusable Grocery Bags


Since a lot of the grocery stores are now charging for plastic bags, I switched to the reusable cloth grocery bags. I like using them and find that they are quite strong and hold a lot of groceries. I have been reading about the health risks associated with using them and the bacteria that can grow inside them. I have found some tips in maintaining the bags and keeping them relatively clean.
  1. Hand wash the bags frequently in hot soapy water and hang to dry.

  2. Designate 1 bag for carrying meats and poultry. Place the meats in the clear plastic bags found in the meat section. Then place them into your cloth bag.

  3. Ensure that your vegetables and fruits are not carried in the same bags that your meats are.

  4. Do not use your grocery bags for carrying items such as books, toys, clothing, or baby items.

  5. Always clean your kitchen counters after placing the bags on them to unpack your groceries.
I sometimes forget to bring my bags to the grocery store so to prevent this from happening I return the bags to my car after unpacking my groceries so that they are always there when I need them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment