Thursday, December 28, 2017

My New (Old) Favourite Kitchen Item

Bookmark and Share


My husband has had a cast iron frying pan for years, even before we met, and it has been sitting in the back of our kitchen cabinet for 22 years without being used much.  I was intimidated by the cast iron because it requires more maintenance than a non-stick pan.  A couple of weeks ago I pulled out the cast iron pan because I was becoming concerned about cooking on a non-stick pan and the potential chemicals that could be getting into our food. 

Because the pan hadn't been used in years, I rubbed some olive oil onto the whole interior of the pan.  I then fried some bacon in it and it cooked very evenly.  A few days later, and after a few Google searches, I became adventurous and cooked a pork roast in the pan.  Here is the beauty of cast iron:  you can sear your roast on the stove top then immediately transfer the cast iron into the oven!  This would also work for roasting vegetables.  The pork roast came out very moist.

I have figured out how to clean the cast iron and season it after each use.  I wash it in soapy water and rub it with a scouring pad.  I then rinse it and dry it with paper towel.  Once it is dry, I buff the pan with olive oil (or canola oil) to season it.  Seasoning means to make it non-stick.  After the oil is applied it can be placed in the oven for about 30 min at 400 degrees.  You do not have to put it in the oven every time you use it but it should be buffed with oil each time. 

Please keep in mind that when cooking with cast iron, you will need to use an oven mitt when touching the handle because it will get hot as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment