Sunday, July 30, 2017

What Happened After I Stopped Eating Refined Sugar

Bookmark and Share


About 6 six years ago I stopped eating refined sugar because after doing some research, I discovered how toxic refined sugar is and how difficult it is for your body to process it.  It was a custom growing up that we would have something sweet after lunch or dinner.  Even in my 20's and 30's I would eat chocolate everyday.  I decided to stop eating sugar to see how it would change how I felt. Here is what happened:

  • I stopped getting headaches;
  • I had a lot more energy and felt less lethargic;
  • I lost some weight;
  • I was less moody;
  • My skin cleared up;
  • I slept better;
  • I no longer "crashed" in the afternoon;
  • My craving for sweet things disappeared after a few weeks
I cut out refined sugar by not putting it into my coffee.  I stopped eating desserts, baked items and chocolate.  When I see something sweet now I don't even think about eating it because for one, it doesn't appeal to me anymore and two, I think about how bad I would feel after eating it.  It's almost like having a hangover.  

I have more energy now than I did in my teens and up until my late 30's.  I am now very conscious about the amount of sugar in foods and I always read the nutrition label to check for the amount in products.  Children should have no more than 3 tsp (12 g) of sugar a day, men no more than 9 tsp (36 g) and women no more than 6 (24 g).  A can of pop can have 40 g to 60 g of sugar!  Sugar can also be in places you wouldn't think of such as condiments and salad dressings.  

If you are craving something sweet you are better to have a piece of fruit.  You can also sweeten coffee and tea with real maple syrup or honey.  I know it sounds hard to give up eating sweets but after a couple of weeks your body will be used to not having the sugar rush and you will feel amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment